Guidance on UKCA for ‘Ex’

UKCA Product Certification for ‘Ex’ Products

When will I need to use the UKCA Mark?

Only UKCA Issued EX Certificates will be accepted from the 1st January 2023 in the UK for products that previously required Notified Body Certification.


What products will need UKCA ATEX Body Approval?

‘Ex’ electrical products for Zone 0 and 1 and non-electrical products for Zone 0 will require a certificate from a Government Appointed UKCA Body. All  ‘Unit Verification’ Certificates will also require a certificate from a Government Appointed UKCA Body

A UKCA QAN (Manufacturing Quality Audit) will also be required from a UKCA Body such certification. Zone 1 non-electrical will require Files to be lodged with an appointed UKCA Body such as ExVeritas.

How can I find out what Bodies are authorised to issue UKCA Certification?

Only Bodies listed on the UK Government Website can issue UKCA EX (UK ATEX) Certificates that previously required a Notified Body. ExVeritas are directly appointed and have full UKAS accreditation for all UKCA Ex testing and assessment (and as we are also an IECEx Test laboratory  and Certication Body our test reports are accepted internationally)


How is UKCA different from European ATEX?

UKCA Certification will be issued against the list of UK Government Designated Standard. As it is a new scheme, all products will normally need to be to the latest Standards as published on the UK Government Web Site. The new UKCA Regulations Published by UK Government and can be downloaded here as a PDF.


Will I need UKCA Marking on my label?

The marking will also need to be added to cover UKCA, although in  many cases the standard protection concepts and ATEX marking will be the same (assuming the latest Standards are used for Marking which is also a requirement for EU ATEX)

ExVeritas | The Explosion Safety Specialist | ATEX and UKCA

Will I need a UKCA Quality Audit for manufacturing?

The scheme aligns with the European ATEX Scheme, so if you needed a QAN for ATEX, you will need a UKCA Issued QAN for UKCA Marking from a UKCA Government Approved Body such as ExVeritas. A full list of UKCA QAN issuing Bodies can be found on the  UK Government Website
The Types of Quality Modules are renamed under the UKCA scheme but are currently broadly the same. Obviously UKCA QAN Audits will need to look at UK issues such as use of the UKCA approved Standards and UKCA Declarations.


If I have Lodged A Technical File for ATEX, do I need to Lodge a File again for UKCA?

Yes, the file for UKCA File Lodge must be held by a UK Government Approved body. In some cases (foe example ExVeritas) this body may be both UKCA Approved and ATEX Notified and in that case it may be possible to lodge just one file, but the two different Notified/Approval Bodies numbers and addresses may be required for the appropriate Declarations of Conformity. See this page for File Lodge information


Can I use an IECEx or ATEX Certificate as the basis for UKCA Certification?

Assuming the test report has suitable accreditation (IECEx for example is accepted by ExVeritas) and that there have been no significant technical changes since it was tested ExVeritas could issue UKCA Certification without further testing. This is reviewed for each project, so please contact us to find out if we can do this for your products.  For UKCA Quality Certification, we will need to have approved your individual auditor prior to the audit to accept the audit for UKCA. If you do not have someone who can audit for you ExVeritas or one of our partners may be able to help and can issue most types of quality approval


What to do if you need UKCA Certification now, but parts of the equipment are only ATEX Certified.

During the period of time-limited recognition of certification by EU CABs only (limited to goods being placed on the GB market in 2021 for most areas), it is permissible for goods to be UKCA marked and placed on the GB market on the basis of:

  • A ‘Module B’ / “type-examination” certificate issued by an EU body where there is a second module (e.g. ‘Module D’) which has been carried out by a UK CAB
  • A certificate issued by a UK CAB that relies in part on a separate certification (e.g. of an individual component) issued by an EU CAB

Where a UK issued certificate stipulates that it is only valid where the product covered is being used along with another product that has been certified by a UK recognised CAB, it shall be considered valid for use with any product certified by an EU CAB that has been placed on the market before the end of the period of time-limited recognition of EU certification in GB.

From 2022 (in most cases) all certificates used for products being placed on the GB market, including Module B / type-examination certificates as well as certification, and any other certificates where the legislation requires certificates to be issued by a recognised CAB, must have been issued by UK-recognised CABs. This will not include EU CABs (EU Based Notified bodies)


What does a UKCA ‘Ex’ Certificate look like?


The agreed format for a UKCA product Certificate is is below. This may change over time as the UK Approved Body group (TC31/L6) makes changes and new decisions over time. The UK Type Approval Certificate will also need a UKCA QAN and a UKCA Declaration of Conformity

ExVeritas | The Explosion Safety Specialist | UKCA certificate

When will I need a UKCA Declaration?

From 1 January 2023, the CE marking will not be recognised in Great Britain for areas covered by this guidance and the UKCA marking.


What needs to be on the UKCA Declaration?

The information required on the Declaration of Conformity will be largely the same as what is currently required on an EU Declaration of Conformity. This can vary depending on the application legislation but generally should include:

  • your name and full business address or that of your authorised representative
  • the product’s serial number, model or type identification
  • a statement, stating you take full responsibility for the product’s compliance
  • the details of the approved body which carried out the conformity assessment procedure (if applicable)
  • the relevant legislation with which the product complies
  • your name and signature
  • the date the declaration was issued
  • supplementary information (if applicable)

Significant changes are with reference to the legislation and standards listed on the declaration.

What European Directives now require UK Legislation?

The Declaration must reference UK Legislation, Not EU Directives

EU legislation UK legislation
Toy Safety – Directive 2009/48/EC Toys (Safety) Regulations 2011
Recreational craft and personal watercraft – Directive 2013/53/EU Recreational Craft Regulations 2017
Simple Pressure Vessels – Directive 2014/29/EU Simple Pressure Vessels (Safety) Regulations 2016
Electromagnetic Compatibility – Directive 2014/30/EU Electromagnetic Compatibility Regulations 2016
Low Voltage Directive 2014/35 Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016
Non-automatic Weighing Instruments – Directive 2014/31/EU Non-automatic Weighing Instruments Regulations 2016
Measuring Instruments – Directive 2014/32/EU Measuring Instruments Regulations 2016
Lifts – Directive 2014/33/EU Lifts Regulations 2016
ATEX – Directive 2014/34/EU Equipment and Protective Systems Intended for use in Potentially Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2016
Radio equipment – Directive 2014/53/EU Radio Equipment Regulations 2017
Pressure equipment – Directive 2014/68/EU Pressure Equipment (Safety) Regulations 2016
Personal protective equipment – Regulation (EU) 2016/425 Personal Protective Equipment Regulations (Regulation (EU) 2016/425 as brought into UK law and amended)
Gas appliances – Regulation (EU) 2016/426 Gas Appliances (Product Safety and Metrology etc (Amendment etc) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019)
Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 2008
Outdoor Noise Directive 2000/14/EC Noise Emission in the Environment by Equipment for use Outdoors Regulations 2001
Directive 92/42/EEC hot-water boilers AND Eco design Directive 2009/125/EC The Eco design for Energy-Related Products and Energy Information (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019
Restriction of the Use of certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment (RoHS) – Directive 2002/95/EC The Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2012

The Declaration must Reference UK designated standards rather than standards cited in the Official Journal of the European Union, although it may be the case they they are the same, you will need to check.

You, or your authorised representative (where allowed for in the relevant legislation), must keep documentation to demonstrate that your product conforms with the regulatory requirements. This must be kept for up to 10 years after the product is placed on the market.
This information can be requested at any time by market surveillance or enforcement authorities to check that your product conforms with the statutory requirements.


Who can sign the UKCA Declaration?

The UK Declaration of Conformity can be drawn up by the manufacturer or their UK-based authorised representative. While the authorised representative must be UK-based, there is no obligation for the manufacturer – if they are the ones signing the DoC – to be based in the UK.
If the manufacturer is based outside the UK, then the importer who first brings the product onto the Great Britain market bears responsibility for the product meeting UK requirements, including bearing the risk of prosecution for fraudulent claims. The importer will need to make sure that from 1 January 2021:

  • goods are labelled with your company’s details, including your company’s name and a contact address (until 31 December 2022 you can provide these details on the accompanying documentation rather than on the good itself)
  • the correct conformity assessment procedures have been carried out and that goods have the correct conformity markings
  • the manufacturer has drawn up the correct technical documentation and complied with their labelling requirements
  • you maintain a copy of the declaration of conformity for a period of 10 years
  • goods conform with the relevant essential requirements

Useful Links/Downloads

Statement of the government’s policy on conformity assessment and accreditation
UK product safety and metrology: What’s changed from 1 January 2021 in relation to Great Britain? 
Changes to Regulation 765/2008 on Accreditation and Market Surveillance applying in Great Britain from 1 January 2021 
Designated standards: equipment for explosive atmospheres 
List of UK Approved Bodies