Clarification on UKCA Ex equipment with ATEX parts

Mar 15, 2021 | Schemes Updates

What to do if you need UKCA Certification now, but parts of the equipment are only ATEX Certified.

During the period of time-limited recognition of certification by EU CABs only (limited to goods being placed on the GB market in 2021 for most areas), it is permissible for goods to be UKCA marked and placed on the GB market on the basis of:

  • A ‘Module B’ / “type-examination” certificate issued by an EU body where there is a second module (e.g. ‘Module D’) which has been carried out by a UK CAB
  • A certificate issued by a UK CAB that relies in part on a separate certification (e.g. of an individual component) issued by an EU CAB

Where a UK issued certificate stipulates that it is only valid where the product covered is being used along with another product that has been certified by a UK recognised CAB, it shall be considered valid for use with any product certified by an EU CAB that has been placed on the market before the end of the period of time-limited recognition of EU certification in GB.

From 2022 (in most cases) all certificates used for products being placed on the GB market, including Module B / type-examination certificates as well as certification, and any other certificates where the legislation requires certificates to be issued by a recognised CAB, must have been issued by UK-recognised CABs. This will not include EU CABs (EU Based Notified bodies)

More help on UKCA

UKCA Certification


UKCA File Lodge