Advanced Intrinsic Safety Circuit Design
This 5 day workshop based training is the most advanced Intrinsic Safety designers course available.
This course is for Engineers who wish to master designing intrinsically safe equipment and learn some new methods of achieving safety used in the latest editions of the intrinsically safe standard for high power and non-linear devices.
This workshop has been specifically developed to incorporate the very latest thinking on intrinsic safety and the most advanced certification techniques available for high power and non-linear circuits.
The classes are based on a number of ‘hands on’ exercises with full worked solutions and assumes a prior Knowledge of basic intrinsic safety. The core syllabus covered includes: • Determination and assessment of linear & non-linear output parameters (including transients). • Domain analysis to increase efficiency whilst also meeting intrinsic safety requirements. • Rating of components such as resistors, fuses, diodes in a Zener barrier (and infallibility). • Implementation techniques for Antennas, DC-DC converters, and semiconductors current limiters. • Identifying areas where infallible connections can be used and improve efficiency. • Methods for temperature classification of encapsulated areas, troubleshooting non-conformance, and implementing heatsinks. • Temperature classification of batteries. • Surface temperature of intrinsically safe circuits for combustible dust. • Understanding separation distances requirements and enclosures requirements.
Five Day Advanced Intrinsic Safety Training Course and Workshop Syllabus
Exercises based real cases examples covering all relevant aspects of the standard. The workshop will include 20 exercises with full explanations and where appropriate advanced tools/spreadsheets and samples/datasheets will be provided. The Certification Design Workshop covers ATEX, IECEx, NEC500 & 505 Circuit Designs for ‘Global’ Design Compliance. The syllabus includes:
- Explosive Atmosphere Overview
- Area Classification & EPL
- Protection Concepts Overview
- Intrinsic Safety Overview
- Standards reference, definition and aspects covered
- Safety factors and fault conditions
- Spark ignition
- Sparks physics
- Spark test apparatus and its limitations
- Definitions of limiting parameters
- Linear circuits
- Trapezoidal circuits
- Rectangular circuits
- RF or alternate signal circuits
- Switched-mode DC/DC converters
- Association of limiting circuits and approach by domains
- Transient test
- Piezoelectric devices test
- Installation requirements
- Thermal ignition requirements
- Overview and requirements
- Small components
- Circuit modelling parameters for thermal ignition
- Group III (dust) requirements and testing
- Component ratings
- Overview (fault conditions, constant x transient conditions)
- Zener diodes
- Relays, opto-couplers etc.
- Zener diodes and Crowbar barriers
- Loosely specified components
- Separation distances and mechanical strength
- Overview about requirements (clearance, creepage, wiring, etc.)
- Electrostatic charges
- Mechanical strength testing program
- Infallible connections
- Overview about the requirements and reason to have infallible connections
A Course Attendance Certificate for the ‘Advanced Intrinsic Safety Training’ workshop is issued to all delegates
2022 Course Dates
- Wrexham, UK: 3rd – 5th August
- Cost: £3950 + VAT per person, includes notes, software, lunch & refreshments.
How to book