Controversial New EN60079-14:2014 Installation Standard Published
NEW IEC/EN60079-14:2014 introduces significant new changes for Ex Installers and Inspectors
After a great deal of debate, the new Hazardous Area Installation Standard EN60079-14:2014 has been issued and is published as an IEC and EN Standard. As a BS EN Standard there is a rather unusual section essentially saying that although the Standard is published, the UK takes issue with certain parts/changes!
- Explosion Protection Levels (categories and EPL) updates
- New Protection Concepts updates
- New Ex Installation requirements covering for cable, glands and all protection concepts
- New Installation tests (restricted breathing on cables etc.)
- Different Ex d Barrier Gland requirements
- New Information on RF devices
- New Intrinsic Safety Requirements
The new Standard, coupled with the new Inspection Standard (EN60079-17:2014) represent the most significant changes to potentially explosive atmosphere inspection and installation for a decade, and all Engineers and Technicians involved in this field are advised to take note of the significant updates. ExVeritas Ex Inspection and Installation Software ‘iEx’ has already been updated to include the new requirements of EN60079-14:2014 and the new inspection questions/forms from EN60079-17:2014 (all legacy questions and forms down to FLP risk assessment have of course been retained!). More information on iEx can be found here.
ExVeritas have been assessing the impact of the new 2014 edition Standards since they were in draft, and have prepared a special Ex Installers and Inspectors Update course that concentrates on the changes introduced by these Standards, places are limited so book early.