Consultation on DSEAR 2002
This consultative document seeks views on HSE’s proposed consolidated version of the following parts of the Approved Code of Practice on the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR). L134 – Design of plant, equipment and workplaces; L135 – Storage of dangerous substances; L136 – Control and mitigation measures; L137 – Safe maintenance, repair and cleaning procedures; L138 – Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres.
Stakeholder organisations have contributed to the exercise which has resulted in the five existing DSEAR ACOPs being consolidated into a revised L138, which updates the contents and features:
- Greater clarity and increased use of ‘at-a-glance’ lists and a reduction in the use of large blocks of text
- Promotion of limited Regulation 7 guidance text to ACOP. Demotion or removal of repetitious ACOP text
- An emphasis on proportionality and the avoidance of a proliferation of overlapping risk assessments
- For convenience, the Schedules relating to Regulations 6 and 7 moved from the end of the document to accompany the relevant regulation
- Updating of the regulatory sections of text to include minor changes made since 2002.
The DSEAR Regulations are unchanged and so there are no new requirements for compliance.
View the DSEAR consultative document
Respond to the consultation using the online questionnaire