An Introduction to Intrinsic Safety Circuit Design
This 2 day introduction to Intrinsic Safety Circuit Design course is ideal for Engineers who wish to start designing intrinsically safe equipment or brush up on their knowledge of this complicated subject and perhaps learn some new methods of achieving safety. The presenter has conducted or checked hundreds of intrinsically safe projects and has ‘real world’ experience with both design and certification of intrinsically safe equipment.
Why use us for intrinsic safety design training?
The presenter has completed thousands of EX projects including prototype design, manufacture and problem-solving. Intrinsic safety training will teach you how to design and document effectively, get certification faster and achieve more ‘flexible’ certification globally. As an UKCA/ATEX/IECEx test laboratory and Certification Body, we can also demonstrate tests and verification methods, a unique feature of this course. ExVeritas uses an electronic cloud-based e-learning system called ‘Learn Ex,’ once registered candidates can have immediate access to course notes which are updated electronically. Simply visit https://www.exveritas.com/learnex-online/ for further details about the benefits of LearnEx.
”This is a great course and unique of its kind. I can recommend this course to every designer.” John K. O. Pedersen, Senior RF Engineer, Motorola Solutions. ”The lecturer was extremely knowledgeable with over 25 years of experience in the industry, and the subject matter was immediately applicable to my project.” James Wightman, Principal Electrical Engineer PMP
An Introduction to Intrinsic Safety Training Course Syllabus
- Introduction and Overview of Competence Requirements
- Explosion Properties and Terminology required for intrinsic safety
- Intrinsically Safe ‘Certification’ and Certification Schemes (ATEX, IECEx, NEC500 & 505)
- Deriving the required level of safety (area classification, EPL) for i.a, i.b. and i.c.
- Intrinsic safety overview. (A complete overview of the entire subject and how it all ‘works together’ before moving on to the detail with ‘i.c.’ specific issues and relaxations)
- Intrinsically Safe Systems Overview (cables, barriers and earthing)
- Power Supply Assessment (Calculations, matched power, batteries)
- Energy storage (assessment of capacitance and inductance, methods of reducing energy or permitting more energy, design methods, spark testing)
- Use of safety components (zener shunt, diodes for blocking and inductance control, resistors with capacitance) and safety component rating and de-rating (zeners).
- Separation & Segregation (Creepgage, clearance, tracks, encapsulation, CTI)
- Thermal Assessment (small component rules, thermal calculations, potting, testing)
An Course Attendance Certificate for the Intrinsic Safety Training is issued to all delegates.
2022 Course Dates
Course dates to be announced.
Cost: UK: £1200+VAT; USA: $1,500 USD per person, includes notes, software, lunch & refreshments.
This course is only an introduction to the subject of Ex Certication and intrinsic safety, people designing circuit should consider the more advanced and in depth advanced 5 day intrinsic safety course to cover all aspects required by most circuits.