MTEx01-MTEx04 Installation & Inspection for Maritime Vessels
This qualification (MTEx01 – MTEx04) has been developed for technicians and engineers working on vessels that use gas or low-flashpoint fuels such as LNG. Based on requirements set out in the standards IEC 60079:14, IEC 60079:17, IEC 60092-502 and the IGF Code, this course is ideal for experienced technicians and engineers with relevant qualifications of any merchant or commercial vessels including cruise lines, bulk carriers, general cargo, container, and tankers that are powered with gas or low-flashpoint fuels such as LNG.
The IGF International Code of Safety for Ships using Gases or Low-flashpoint Fuels came into force in 2017, which included new training requirements for crew. The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) was also amended to require compliance with the IGF code. Part 502 of IEC 60092 relates to electrical installations in tankers carrying liquids which are flammable, either inherently, or due to their reaction with other substances, or flammable liquefied gases. The Maritime Fuels course aims to support the maritime sector with the transition from heavy fuel oil (HFO) to liquefied natural gas (LNG)
Who is this qualification for
This course is suitable for engineers and technicians who are responsible for the maintenance and inspection of electrical systems and instrumentation within hazardous areas onboard vessels using gas or low-flashpoint fuels.
Course Course Content
- General principles, sources of ignition and apparatus protection
- Standards, Certification and Ex Marking
- Protection Concepts used in for gas and dust
- Area Classification of gas and dust with examples of maritime classification and LPG
- Combined (hybrid) methods of protection in gas and dust zones
- Wiring systems, enclosure entries, cable glanding and earthing to IEC/BS EN60079-14 f
- Inspection and maintenance to BS EN 60079-17
- Induction to competence validation testing
- Identify the correct regulations, codes and IEC standards which are applicable. n
- Identify the correct criteria and descriptors used to classify a hazardous location onboard a vessel.
- Recognise the correct characteristics of common hazardous gases, vapours and dust discussed during the course.
- Understand and recognise the hazards specific to LNG.
- Apply the appropriate protection concepts to equipment selection, installation, maintenance, and inspection.
- Includes 2 days of written exams and practical assessment
CompEx Inspection & Installation Course Certification
CompEx National Certificate of Core Competence valid for 5-year (UKAS Accredited)
Candidates are required to supply their own PPE, i.e. coveralls, safety glasses and safety footwear. Also required is evidence of vocational qualifications as detailed in the awarding body (JTL) document JTL925. Appropriate electrical or instrumentation qualifications include proof of having completed a recognized apprenticeship, level 3 S/NVQ or equivalent.
5 days plus 4-6 hours E-learning delivered prior to course commencement.
3 1/2 days of training and 1 1/2 assessment days
2023 Course Dates
09:00 to 16:30 Course duration and times may vary depending on delegate numbers. Individual delegate finishing time will depend on the length of time taken for assessment.
Course Cost & Booking
The CompEx Ex01 – Ex04 Course is a full 5 day course, cost £1200 GBP* + VAT per delegate including lunch and refreshments and can be booked on credit card or via a company purchase order.£25.00 is charged in addition to the course cost for the CompEx ID Card.
Bookings can be taken by completing the on line form below.
Why CompEx MTEx01-MTEx04 at ExVeritas?
ExVeritas are a UK Government Appointed Body for Ex and have extensive experience working directly with vessels such as FPSOs, mobile drilling rigs and accommodation vessels. We have conducted risk assessments, area classification and inspections and acted as expert witnesses when things go wrong.
ExVeritas uses our in house developed cloud-based e-learning system called ‘Learn Ex,’ once registered candidates can have immediate access to course notes which are updated electronically. Simply visit LearnEx for further details about the benefits of this unique system. The only training ExVeritas do is Hazardous Area Training – We are UKAS accredited experts in this field, and as such have the leading instructors and facilities to ensure you will receive the very best instruction and assessment available anywhere.
We have a comfortable air-conditioned lecture room with HD projectors and audio and up-to-date practical facilities mirroring the requirements of the latest editions of the Standards. We offer an excellent buffet lunch and complimentary hot drinks, snacks and Wi-Fi throughout your visit