Advanced Lead Ex Inspector Certification
This course allows Professional Inspectors to demonstrate advanced/lead inspection skills beyond the minimum basic industry qualifications.
The advanced lead inspectors’ course is intended to both verify and improve the knowledge, skill and competency of the candidate with regards to the full requirements for inspection and maintenance. This course is specifically designed to bridge the “gap” between the core competency level of the inspection modules associated with CompEx Ex02, Ex04 and Ex06, and the CompEx Ex14 Responsible Persons course and IECEx CoCP equivalents.
This four day course is intended to give an in-depth awareness to the candidate with regards to explosive atmospheres formed by gases, vapours, mists and combustible dusts. It covers an analysis of the inspection and maintenance methodology associated with electrical and non-electrical equipment for use in explosive atmospheres. As the persons attending the course are experienced electrical inspectors or at an equivalent senior level, the course covers the basic and more in-depth elements of inspection, testing and maintenance requirements of IEC 60079-17.
Why Our Course?
ExVeritas are uniquely positioned to provide this certification and registration as one of the UK’s leading Inspection Training providers and also the only company in the UK to hold full UKAS Inspection Body status for all types of Ex Inspection.
This course has been exclusively developed by ExVeritas to offer a level of assurance beyond ‘core’ competence which only offers part of the requirement for qualification of a lead Ex inspector.
Electrical and instrumentation inspectors looking to lead teams and/or work on high risk sites such as COMAH/offshore or function as independent/contract inspectors. Lead inspectors, senior inspectors and other personnel who need to improve their technical awareness with regards to the importance of the inspection and maintenance protocol.
Minimum Enrolment Requirements
The Candidate has enough knowledge, skills and experience to undertake the training and assessments. The Candidate should have a minimum of two-years on-site experience undertaking inspection activities (this will be verified by review)
-  A minimum of an NVQ level 3 electrical biased qualification, ONC/HNC/HND or BTEC National Diploma in a relevant engineering or technology subject (or national equivalent outside the UK).
-  Understanding, interpreting and applying technical content based on IEC 60079-17.
-  Minimum of CompEx practitioner e.g. Ex01-Ex04 (Gases) or Ex05-Ex06 (Combustible dusts) course and two years on-site experience
Explosive Atmosphere Overview for advanced Inspection including non-electrical and optical.
Standards and Guidance including the Energy Institute: Guidelines for managing inspections
Inspection of Area Classification (modifications, changes, identifying the need to re-classify.)
Protection Concepts for advanced inspectors – which are higher risk and should be inspected more often, how to prioritise.
Inspection and Maintenance of equipment. A detailed review of the requirements of latest edition of IEC/EN 60079-17 and understanding and using the fault codes associated with the inspection schedules. Inspection methodology associated with Time based inspections (TBI’s) and Risk Based inspections (RBI’s).
Reviewing Documentation, This would include but not limited to the following:
- Verification Dossier
- Periodic inspection Methodology (Flow chart)
- IEC 60079-0: Explosive Atmospheres: General Requirements
- Annex C: Fitness-for-purpose assessment
- Annex D: Motor Checks
- Instructions (non-electrical and Ex h)
- System Descriptive Documents (DSD)
Cost and Dates
£1200 + VAT per person, includes lunch & refreshments.
Course dates TBA
In total, there are two multi-choice written examinations to be completed together with a practical assessment of inspection and testing;
Core (Basic) paper, Marking paper, Inspection and Maintenance papers
- Core (Basic) Paper Closed Book 30 questions- 45 minutes (Monday morning) Pre-assessment.
- Inspection and Maintenance, inspection methodology and fault codes. Papers Open Book 60 questions 1.5 hours (Thursday afternoon)
- Practical exercises including electrical and functional testing
On successful completion candidates will be certified and listed on our on line certification database of certified competent people.