- 11th July 2014
- Posted by: Sean Clarke
- Category: Standards Updates
New Flameproof Ex d Standard
IEC Edition 7.0 of IEC 60079-1 – Explosive atmospheres Part 1: Equipment protection by flameproof enclosures “d” was published in 06/2014
This International Standard specifies the construction requirements, medications materials, for sale test requirements and acceptance criteria for design, manufacture, testing and certification of this equipment for installation in explosive flammable gases. Many technical amendments that have been incorporated in this new edition of IEC 60079-1 7.0 in 2014 compared to 6.0 edition, published in 2007, including:
- Removal of the reference to the publication of IEC 60079-0 (Ex Equipment – General Requirements)
- Included requirements for the level of equipment protection EPL Ga flameproof
- Included requirements for the protection level of protection equipment EPL Gc flameproof
- Included limitations of materials for environments containing acetylene
- Included additional requirements for flameproof enclosures containing internal source of release
- Included new requirements for engines with enclosures Ex “d” flameproof driven by frequency converters
- Included requirements for non-metallic enclosures, with reference to IEC 60079-7
- Included requirements torque values for tightening of bolted parts
It is likely that this standard will soon be adopted as an ATEX Standard and Ex d manufacturers should be aware of the significant changes to the flameproof standard.
ExVeritas offer a full range of flameproof testing and certification to ATEX, IECEx and North American (NEC500/505) Standards.